4 replies to this topic

#1 thunderfrog42

thunderfrog42

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:35 AM

So I've had a couple owners the past week go to the Add/Drop screen to add a player, and have apparently just now noticed the notations under the player list, in particular the "# Locked Player Due to Global Lock".  Of course, every single player has a "#" next to their name and the owners are freaking out asking why all the players are "locked".  They have even clicked the link "Check the Locked Players report for information as to when they unlock" 

When they do, they are brought to a screen with the message "All Players are Currently Locked"

Now, the players aren't really "locked" per se, as they are indeed available to be added, but when an owner sees that a player is "locked" he assumes (and I think reasonably so) that the player is unavailable to be added.  So my question is:  Why does MFL use this incredibly confusing terminology, especially considering there are legitimate periods during the week when a player actually is "locked"/unavailable...

And how do I best explain this to my owners, other than just saying "locked doesn't mean locked, MFL just has stupid terminology" ??   Am I correct in saying MFL uses the term "locked" to define the player's status, and his status may very well be "available to be added" ? (which of course is about as clear as mud)...

#2 thunderfrog42

thunderfrog42

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 09:39 AM

Although, in the case of a player having an "!" next to his name, ( "! Locked Player due to player's game having already started for this week" ) he really IS locked/unavailable...  So, again, incredibly confusing...

#3 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,865 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:43 PM

I agree it can be confusing, especially since before the new system "locked" meant they couldn't be picked up at all.

With the global lock, the players are locked from *FCFS*.  When players are unlocked then they can be added FCFS.  If you are a league that runs waivers then locked players can be requested in waivers.

I will say, I've never had anyone in my leagues be confused.  I put specific custom descriptions on my calendar so I have a system "Lock all players" when MNF starts but I have a custom "Waivers requests starts" on there as well.  When waivers run I have a custom "FCFS Starts" on the calendar as well.  So everyone can easily see what is going on when.  Perhaps that helps, I dunno.

#4 thunderfrog42

thunderfrog42

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:50 AM

My owners never look at the calendar (or read our charter, etc...lol),  but I like your simple concise definition that "Locked means locked from FCFS waivers (not blind bidding waivers)"... I think that's probably the simplest way I can explain it to them.. thanx

#5 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,865 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:37 PM

No problem.  Another way to think about it is by "default" FCFS is on all the time (this is an MFL change and makes it similar to other services).  Thus "locking" players means it makes them not available for FCFS and in addition if you run a waivers system they can be requested for waivers while they are locked.  When waivers runs, the system automatically unlocks all the players and thus allowing FCFS again.  But some players may not be available for FCFS based on other settings you have such as dropped players locked until the following week (or a period of time) or players lock once their game starts.  By the way, even when a Thursday player is locked, you actually can request them for waivers (although it will be for the following week).

Not sure if that is more or less confusing, but there it is.  LOL

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users