10 replies to this topic

#1 mace

mace

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:17 PM

So this week I had an owner pick up and drop 6 TEs just to lock them out from his opponent. He literally thinks this is ok and is pissed at me for unlocking those TEs. He claims I'm changing the rules midseason. I am totally against changing rules midseason, but I believe it's the commissioners job to overrule on shenanigans like this.  So I have two questions.

1. Am I wrong to unlock the players that he tried to keep away from his opponent?

2. Is there a way the site can help prevent this? It would be nice if players that were release weren't locked unless they have been on the team for a day or something like that. 

#2 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,882 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:18 AM

Yea, this is just "one of those things".  You can specify it in your rules, however I don't.  Because sometimes sh!t happens and you pick up a guy and then 3 hours later news comes out and you would rather have that new guy and you drop your newly acquired player for the newer hotness.

In my league this would probably never happen since we charge $5 per transaction.  That's a lot of moola for 6 TE's.  Having said that, if your situation happened in my league I would also unlock all those TE's based on our owner Conduct policy and for a fair league.  While some leagues may see this as a "shark" move, we see it as bush league (as do you).  If for some reason the owner thru a fit about it then I'd toss it over to my competition committee for a ruling.

As for #2...there actually is a setting (which I don't recall being there before, but then I've never looked for it) under Waivers/Free Agents setup that is:

Once a player is acquired, he can't be dropped for this many days...then select the number of days with 1 being the minimum. 

This wouldn't completely eliminate the issue if you had unlimited roster spots but I think the guy wouldn't be able to do this en mass unless he had enough roster space.  The downside is that it prevents an owner from changing his mind or perhaps making a last minute move before kickoff if say he picked up a guy on Saturday and now on Sunday he's declared Out and the owner would rather drop and pick up someone else.  So you'll have to decide if you just want to police it in the rare instance it happens or deal with less flexible rosters overall.

I think your post may make me update my rules to just note that this type of thing is not acceptable.  Amazing that even after 20 years I'm still updating my bylaws.  :)

#3 mace

mace

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, we are in our 26th season and it's crazy that things like this are only just starting to pop up. I'll have to check with my league mates what route to go. Maybe just warning people that his is not ok is all we need to do.

#4 Brute Squad

Brute Squad

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:39 AM

Maybe in the future MFL will add the option to NOT lock a player if he's dropped in the same week as he was acquired.

Here's what our rules state on the matter:

The league wants to discourage the dropping of the same player picked up in the same week, but understands it is necessary in some situations (mistakes, injuries, etc...). However, frequent abuse of this could be a sign of waiver wire manipulation and will be addressed directly with the team.

Any player dropped in the same week as he was picked up, will be un-locked by the commish if requested by any team other than the team that dropped him.

(i.e. the commish is not going to monitor all the dropped players to see if a player was dropped in the same week as he was picked up and therefore should be un-locked)

The request to unlock a player must come before that player's scheduled gametime for the week. The unlocked player will be added to the requesting team's roster IF that team states which of his current players he wishes to drop, otherwise the commish will unlock the player and it will be up to the requesting team to make the drop/add move before someone else picks up the player.

www.jorgalink.com

#5 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,882 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:58 PM

Brute...I really like that solution.  Nice job and it's going to be added to my league bylaws in the off-season.

#6 DA-G-GURU

DA-G-GURU

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 06:57 PM

Maybe in the future MFL will add the option to NOT lock a player if he's dropped in the same week as he was acquired.

The league wants to discourage the dropping of the same player picked up in the same week, but understands it is necessary in some situations (mistakes, injuries, etc...). However, frequent abuse of this could be a sign of waiver wire manipulation and will be addressed directly with the team.

Any player dropped in the same week as he was picked up, will be un-locked by the commish if requested by any team other than the team that dropped him.

(i.e. the commish is not going to monitor all the dropped players to see if a player was dropped in the same week as he was picked up and therefore should be un-locked)

The request to unlock a player must come before that player's scheduled gametime for the week. The unlocked player will be added to the requesting team's roster IF that team states which of his current players he wishes to drop, otherwise the commish will unlock the player and it will be up to the requesting team to make the drop/add move before someone else picks up the player.

Brute ... Thanks for this post and i agree MFL needs a tweak here for this exact problem that can also happen in my league. I think i will add something like your post to our by laws also to cover the future of player blocking.

Mace I hear you man....unlock those TE...for the betterment of the league.

Simply The Best in Grafix and CSS webdesign since 2005

www.dagrafixdesigns.com

---------------
Twitter @DA_Sticks

#7 DA-G-GURU

DA-G-GURU

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:28 PM

Brute... Is this for FCFS waivers only or for normal waivers as well, so all waiver systems applies here?

If someone picks up A player and then drops the same A player, then that A player applies to the rule above for each week correct.?

www.dagrafixdesigns.com

---------------
Twitter @DA_Sticks

#8 quickolas1

quickolas1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:07 PM

In our rules since 2012 (as concise as possible):

FCFS Pickups [available Tuesday nights 10:30 pm ET]
- All FCFS pickups are $2.00 in salary
- FCFS is available up until kickoff of each player's individual game
- Players added in a week's FCFS who are then subsequently dropped [in the same week, before that players' game begins] can be unlocked and added by notifying a commissioner

#9 Brute Squad

Brute Squad

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:45 PM

Brute... Is this for FCFS waivers only or for normal waivers as well, so all waiver systems applies here?

If someone picks up A player and then drops the same A player, then that A player applies to the rule above for each week correct.?

Yes, this is for all waivers during the week...the processed waivers and subsequent FCFS waivers...it applies to ALL players who were added and dropped in the same week, regardless of how they were acquired. (it does not apply to players who were traded and dropped in the same week)

www.jorgalink.com

#10 DA-G-GURU

DA-G-GURU

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:25 PM

Brute,

Thank you for clearing this up, I plan to implement this tonight!

Thanks bud
Sticks

www.dagrafixdesigns.com

---------------
Twitter @DA_Sticks

#11 Telly33

Telly33

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 11:20 AM

You can also add a second waiver run on Saturday afternoon or evening (or Friday once the Saturday games begin) as well where any locked players become available.  One of my leagues does this.  That's one workaround that prevents this.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users