12 replies to this topic

#1 quickdraw3457

quickdraw3457

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:00 AM

My league members suggested possibly adding IR slots specifically for players that test positive for covid. I don't know how the NFL is handling this stuff exactly, but is something like this possible? I don't want to have a "self policing" policy where I as commissioner add IR slots and have to manually check to make sure players tested positive and are legally on the IR, but preferably something built in to MFL. Obviously this would have to be a site wide change and this probably isn't the forum for that but does anyone have any insight into this? Is it doable? 

#2 Moon

Moon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:24 PM

We do have a 1 IR slot for any player who is ruled out for the game or is on the NFL suspended or IR list. I do police the use of the IR so that if you leave a player off your active roster and he dresses that weekend, he gets dropped from your roster.  Most of the team owners don't take advantage of this, but I could see it being used more this year. If it becomes problematic in that lots of players test positive before a game, I might think about adding a 2nd slot, or maybe just expand everyone's roster at the start of the season in anticipation of weekend disruptions and do away with our current IR setup. Possibility of an interesting dilemma that I hadn't thought about until your post and definitely something to keep in mind as we get closer to our draft in late August.

#3 quickdraw3457

quickdraw3457

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:40 AM

Yeah for me though I want to avoid having to self police it if possible. Sometimes people in my league might forget, or might not check their team the morning of, or maybe someone on IR has a thursday game but is active and they forget to check it. There are lots of easy ways to forget and I don't want to have a gray area where I have to choose between a harsh punishment for something or letting it slide. I'm friends with my whole league and don't want to make it cutthroat, but I also don't want any chance of playing favorites. 

#4 Moon

Moon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:36 PM

Ours is a 20 team family league, so I get shying away from anything draconian. When we added an IR slot 2 years ago it was described as a bonus roster spot and to use it to your benefit but with caution - no exceptions to the rule granted. Some people use it to their advantage and only once did I have to drop a player from the roster. Same team owner slacked off on valid lineups once eliminated from playoff contention to the detriment of others still vying for cash and a trophy - niece and Godchild - I booted her from the league. Still gets to come to family holiday gatherings and even our annual league cook-off, but no longer eligible to hoist the trophy. I mean there's family and then there is fantasy football.

#5 BobA

BobA

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

• 2020 MFL: 44355

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:39 AM

With my experiences back in the 'do it all by hand with a pencil' days my goal has always been to make it as easy on myself as possible. :) As it is now, we are to the point where it runs itself for the most part. Once the draft is done I only have to do newsletters and retrieve passwords for my knuckleheaded Boomer owners. And I want to keep it that way. With that in mind I came up with the following plan:

Currently, we have 15-player rosters plus 1 IR spot and the player MUST be listed as IR in the NFL. Teams that fail to activate a guy off the IR can't submit a lineup until they fix it. All of that is easily enforced within the system. We allow 3 waiver claims a week, 30 total for the season with a $300 $350 (I'm old and forgot we boosted it) allotment for Blind Bids and FCFS waivers, the latter is $10 a pop. We also have had lineups locked at noon kickoffs on Sunday and an end to waivers after week 12.

Here is what I'm changing to avoid issues this season and still make it all as automated as possible:

1) Adding a roster spot, maybe two.

2) Adding at least two IR slots and allowing players to be placed there if they are NFL Out or IR. I'm guessing that a positive test will land a guy on the Out list for a couple of weeks.

3) Bumping claims limits to 5/week, 40 or maybe more/season, and making the $ allotment $500.

4) Changing to locking lineups at individual kickoffs. I'm sure there will be announcements made on a Monday morning that player X tested + and is out for that night's game, etc. I want to give owners the chance to make sub moves to account for those situations.

5) Extending waiver claims through the end of the playoffs.

These last two were going to be put in place anyway this season.

The only thing I'll have to do myself because of all this is to go in and take away the abilities for dropping and adding for owners as the season ends and as others are eliminated in the playoffs. And my guys aren't going to skirt the rules anyway so that's not a big deal.

Now.... I've typed all that but to be honest I'm becoming less confident by the day that we will actually see football in 2020. A month ago I had very little doubt that there would be an NFL season, maybe shortened, maybe pushed back, but a season. Now, well, I wouldn't want to bet much on it either way.

I really hope I'm wrong.

2020 League Home

The Ed Hughes Football League, Since 1980
2020...Our 41st Season!! 

----------
"Yes, well, everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out." -Rick Blaine

#6 Moon

Moon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:35 PM

Sounds like a solid plan. Heard a podcast from Pro Football Doc that was thought provoking relative to NFL season, or not. Keeping our fingers crossed at the Mullen Clan Football League headquarters.

#7 Brute Squad

Brute Squad

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:46 PM

BobA, what's going on with your "2020 League Home" link? The URL is corrupted...yikes!

www.jorgalink.com

#8 BobA

BobA

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:01 PM

BobA, what's going on with your "2020 League Home" link? The URL is corrupted...yikes!

That's really odd. I went to edit my signature and the correct URL was there. I have no idea what's up. I put the right URL there again and we'll see what happens. Nothing seems wrong with my league page.

https://www61.myfant...20/home/44355#0

2020 League Home

2020...Our 41st Season!! 

----------
"Yes, well, everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out." -Rick Blaine

#9 Brute Squad

Brute Squad

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:29 PM

Yeah, some extra characters got into the URL...weird that it even went to a site since part of the URL looked like gibberish.

www.jorgalink.com

#10 BobA

BobA

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:33 PM

Well, I appreciate the heads-up.

2020 League Home

2020...Our 41st Season!! 

----------

#11 HedgeHog

HedgeHog

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Interests:Theater, Las Vegas, Blackjack, Poker

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:56 AM

Thx for including a full set of your Covid-adaptation rules BobA.  We're from the pencil and newspaper school as well.  Thought I might note a few things we do differently, just for kicks.

1.  We actually dropped rosters from 30 to 25 this season.  That was done pre-Rona because only about 24% of our teams were filling up.

2.  We use an UNLIMITED IR but players MUST be Out or on IR to qualify so I think we'll be safe.

3.  We use two claims per week and our salary cap is fixed, but players on IR don't count against it.  Lose a $10 player?  Replace him with a $10 player

4.  We've always used the kickoff lock (since the micro-chip era anyway)

5.  We end waiver wire at Christmas anyway so no plan to extend.

We like holidays!  Our free agent auction starts on Bastille Day.  Trade/waiver deadlines used to be Halloween and Thanksgiving, now they're both Christmas (with the caveat of no trading between an eliminated and a contending team)

There IS no "Off Season"

#12 BobA

BobA

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:12 AM

We've never allowed the 'Out' designation for our IR. I know I had a damn good explanation for why that's so but I need more coffee to think better right now.

What I do remember was that before NFL 'bye week' became a thing around 1990 we had a rule that players had a 'start cap', I think it was always one less than the number of our regular-season games. It was to prevent guys from putting in a lineup in Week 1 and just coasting. Has a guy that did that in our first season. I'd track the starts and as the season wound down I'd include names of players who had yet to sit a week in our newsletter. Life was hard in the Dark Ages of fantasy football.

2020 League Home

2020...Our 41st Season!! 

----------

#13 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:54 PM

Bit late to the thread, but I'm not really seeing an issue here at all.  If  a player is out due to Covid, the team will list them as OUT just like any other reason (knee, arm, leg, illness).  So I'm not seeing an issue??

So it's really up to your league I guess on how many IR spots you allow and so forth.  Personally in my league we allow unlimited IR (I just don't care if you have 20 guys on IR) and only for players listed as IR or OUT.

Now there could be an issue if you only allow 1 IR slot or IR only.  But is this really any different if the flu goes thru a team?  Not really, unless they do mandatory 14 day quarantine or something.  But if that starts happening then we have much greater issues such as the whole team out for 2 weeks, games cancelled, the teams they played the last 2 weeks also now out for 2 weeks.  Basically a huge mess.

Honestly I'm really thinking about just cancelling the fantasy season and freezing all rosters (keeper league).  We are a "big money" league so the above scenario, which will happen, will be really unfair to a bunch of owners.  And instead just do a one year redraft for just a couple bucks and call it good.  Then if it all blows up, no fuss no muss.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users