#1 Moon

Moon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

• 2021 MFL: 46365

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:16 AM

We've only ever used the MFL draft room for our 20 team league since coming to MFL in 2009. The league consist of 2 10 team conferences each with its own draft. The experience has been less than satisfactory although we've figured out a few settings to help it go smoother. Compared to other sites, the interface is eh!. Wondering if anyone has used and can comment on FanDraft or other 3rd party sites instead of MFL?

Or does anyone know if MFL is/has upgraded the draft room?

#2 pclivingood

pclivingood

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 07:39 PM

I second this. I have used MFL forever, and right now the part I am least satisfied with is the draft experience. Would love to hear if anyone has figured out a way to improve this.

#3 mnbuffer

mnbuffer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 09:43 AM

We've used PrimeTime draft the past few years.  There is a cost of $25.  For returning customers, it is $17.50.

It's worth checking out.

#4 Moon

Moon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 12:06 PM

No pending changes to draft room between now and season per customer support, so went ahead and purchased subscription to FanDraft. Don't have league consensus to use it for our official draft until we do a dry run. Always looking for something to add some fun or improve on league experience from year to year. 

#5 Moon

Moon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 02:45 PM

FYI for those interested. I did purchase FanDraft and it had some very cool features and was visually appealing; I loved the ability to upload sound clips. Had several sound clips linked to my team when it was time to pick - drum corp cadence, NFL films song, Thunderstruck, etc. Kind of fun for 1st round introductions. Team bio feature also lets you put logos/icons on team page plus a narrative so I added things like career record, last year's top pick ,championships, etc. Again, just makes the experience a bit more fun. Unfortunately, can't use it as is.

I think it would work great for a draft party (in-person or online) so long as everyone is participating in the draft and has their own player ranking list. We have about 1/3 of our owners who auto draft every year for a variety of reasons. Typically family members who aren't football savvy but who still want to be in the league, or work shifts when we hold the draft and so are unavailable. Within MFL the ability to load pre-draft preferences - either player or best by position - for each round is very helpful and something FanDraft doesn't support at this time. They do have an auto draft feature but it is based on best available player using MFL ADP stats. When you look at the ADP list they provide it isn't close to any consensus lists I've seen. You can't upload your own ranking list either to have it pick based on your saved list. All of this is to say if you have members who auto draft, at this time, FanDraft isn't a viable option.

For all my complaining on the MFL draft module through the years, it's ironic to now sing its praise. Oh well, happy to do so.

My son is in a hardcore league where they draft live similar to NFL so he's happy to use the FanDraft subscription.

#6 BobA

BobA

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

• 2021 MFL: 44355

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:10 AM

This PrimeTime draft software.site looks really promising to me. It does everything we need it to do and I like the way it imports/exports MFL draft data. The FAQ and videos on their site addressed almost all my concerns.

I had a question for customer support and emailed them on Wednesday and have yet to hear back. I'm not going to roll with it if that is typical of their support. I figure I'd give them until Monday to respond.

2021 League Home

The Ed Hughes Football League, Since 1980
2021...Our 42nd Season!! 

----------
"Yes, well, everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out." -Rick Blaine

#7 BobA

BobA

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

• 2021 MFL: 44355

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:05 AM

Just to follow up here....

I received a detailed reply from PrimeTime Draft's owner. He answered my question in detail. My question concerned using the software's RemoteView aspect to the entire league including the owners who will draft locally. We use a conference room with workstations for each local owner (6 or 7 this year) with the rest being elsewhere. My concern was the lag time between the main application (local computer running the software) and the RemoteView users.

The answer is that there is a noticeable lag (10-20 secs) that might be a distraction/annoyance to the local owners.

Not necessarily a deal breaker for us but I'll be testing things out with a trial run and a few of my owners soon. The ideal situation for this program would be one person entering picks with a big screen of one sort or another for the room to view. The RemoteView owners wouldn't really be aware of the lag. I may go this route if I can find someone to help out. i like to concentrate on my own picks and don't want the added distraction of entering everyone else's.

Back in the day when everyone was in the room to draft  we'd pay an athletic department intern or coerce a girlfriend :wub:  into writing the picks on a homemade draft board. It may be Back-To-the-Future mode for us. We'll see. :o

2021 League Home

The Ed Hughes Football League, Since 1980
2021...Our 42nd Season!! 

----------
"Yes, well, everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out." -Rick Blaine

#8 UCanCallMeMitch

UCanCallMeMitch

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

• 2021 MFL: 74144

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:15 AM

Honestly, it doesn't sound any better than MFL's draft room.

Which BTW, I have never had any problems with it in over 20 years and there's no extra fee to be paid.

ldsportslogoindex_32x32.png  LuckyDog Sports 
" Fantasy Fun For Football Fanatics "

#9 Moon

Moon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 07:14 PM

Honestly, it doesn't sound any better than MFL's draft room.

Which BTW, I have never had any problems with it in over 20 years and there's no extra fee to be paid.

We were just looking for something more modern with a few bells and whistles to make draft night more like NFL draft night. Didn't find it so we are good to go with MFL draft room. Good you never had problems in 20 years. Last year was great for us but 2 prior years had some problems one of which was enough of an issue that MFL offered a refund. I didn't take it. We figured out how to avoid problems caused by auto-draft by turning off timers. Had issues when someone was auto drafting with back to back picks in snake draft - would go too fast and people drafting live wouldn't know they were on the clock or that certain players were already drafted. All in the past now, but the draftroom could use some sprucing up.

By the way, loyal MFL customer - wouldn't go elsewhere as the customization and detail is fantastic.

#10 mnbuffer

mnbuffer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 07:36 AM

We haven't noticed a lag time of that much, maybe 2 seconds if someone was remote.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users