Salary cap options

8 replies to this topic

#1 haloswin2002

haloswin2002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:27 AM

The way our league works, salary cap and auction are the same. When you sign a player to a contract (via auction) that number counts against a teams cap. I would love to find a way to link these two numbers so that I don't have to maintain them both when they are always going to be the same for our league.

This only becomes an issue because of my 2nd request... The ability to trade salary cap through MFL. The way we do it now, if a team is offering cap, they put it in the trade notes, and if accepted I have to manually adjust the cap (and auction balance) for both teams.

Note: blind bidding dollars are trade-able in our league through MFL, but that's just used in our setup to determine who gets rights to a player (they are then signed to a minimum contract which would then count against cap).

#2 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,848 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:45 AM

I've been in various auction leagues for over a decade and auctions have always been tied to teams salary cap.  Should just be automatic I believe.

From reading the commish updates they added a new option this year to tie it to blind bidding instead.

Note, in salary cap leagues I've been in, it's all one and the same.  If say you have a salary cap of $100.  I bid $90 in the auction to fill my team.  I now start out with $10 blind bidding as that's what cap space I have left.  Say at the end of the year I have $85 of salary and drop nobody, then in the auction next year I'd have $15 available, whatever left after the auction would be my blind bidding start and so forth.

Maybe something has changed with the options but it's always been a feature.  May want to drop a support ticket so they can explain to you the options.

#3 haloswin2002

haloswin2002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:57 PM

For the 7 or so years we have been on MFL this has been the largest recurring issue for us.  They definitely are not the same number, but as long as that number doesnt change from the cap set at the beginning of the year its not an issue.  With our cap being trade-able it makes us have to always change both numbers together after every change.  I have looked again and there is no setting (that I can see) to tie those values together except for initially setting them to the same value.

#4 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,848 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:23 AM

You may want to drop support a ticket and ask.  I believe unless you choose something different, it's just automatically all set together.  But again, I could be wrong, it's been a few years since I was in that cap league.

Obviously trading of cap space is a different beast, I'd suggest not confusing the issue with that one, but instead put in a feature request ticket to allow trading of cap space similar to how you can trade blind bidding bucks.

#5 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,848 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:30 AM

Found the settings.  It's the very first one in Blind Bidding Setup

Are Salary Cap Dollars And Blind Bidding Dollars Treated As One And The Same?

Set that to Yes to tie the two together.

Also the next option is for assigning blind bidding winning amount as the player's salary.

Set that to yes as well so that if you bid $5 then the players salary is $5 if you win.

So in my test league I've set this up and I assigned two players to a team with salaries.  It correctly lowers the salary cap and blind bidding available by the same amount, as I had experienced in previous salary cap leagues.

#6 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,848 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:35 AM

So, now I've tested trading blind bidding money.

I had Franchise 1 with $94 salary cap/BB and Franchise 2 with $100 cap/BB.

I traded $5 of blind bidding moola from #2 to #1.

After the trade *BOTH* BB balance and Salary cap were set to the same, which was $99 for #1 and $95 for #2.

On the rosters report it shows a "Salary Adjustment" for both teams for the amount of $5.

I kinda thought it worked that way so it appears to me that everything you want is already there and all tied together, including trading of salary cap space via blind bidding trade assuming you tie the two together.

Good luck!

#7 haloswin2002

haloswin2002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:44 AM

Our league only uses blind bidding dollars for waivers, not any off-season free agent auctions... I didn't know that you could do it that way. I will look into that to see if it helps.

Currently our auctions run with:
- charge winning bid amounts to: None
- starting auction funds available: each franchise set Individually

So when an auction completed the player is automatically placed on the winning team where that auctioned salary counts against the cap. I don't see any way to replicate this using the blind bidding dollars settings you mentioned above.

#8 haloswin2002

haloswin2002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:55 AM

Ok I see the blind bidding settings you're mentioning which would change my problem from trying to tie auction cap together with salary cap and just tethering blind bidding dollars to salary cap. That seems workable.

I guess now as just a practical question... How would you suggest running waivers with that setup?

Currently we have a blind bidding waiver session end Wednesday night then open up first come first serve waivers from there. Kickoff thrusday we lock waivers until another blind bidding session Saturday night after which we have first come first serve again until kick off Sunday. All players acquired via our waivers receive the default 400k/1yr minimum contract. So any free agents picked up in season will go back to the free agent pool in the following off-season where they can be properly auctioned for.

It seems we could still do all that, but during our blind bid, the player won would obtain a contract of x/1yr where x was the winning bid? But first come first serve would still get the minimum contract?

#9 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,848 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:39 PM

Correct, that is how every salary cap league I've ever been in the past couple decades works in (by no means am I saying that is the only or "correct" way).

So how the cap is run (and I'd say this is the most common, in my experience anyway):

Hard salary cap all season.  Period.  Never can be breached.

First year you have an initial auction for all players including rookies.  You're way beyond this obviously.

Future years have a Vet auction and a standard rookie draft (straight draft, salary by draft position like the NFL).  Some league may do a separate rookie only auction or may wait until later in the summer and do a combined vet/rookie auction.  I personally prefer the vet auction and straight rookie draft.

Whatever cap space you have is whatever you can bid on players in blind bidding waivers.  This could obviously change from week to week based on who you might drop, what type of cap hit system you have on drops, trades, etc. 

Leagues I've been in only have 1 blind bid waivers, usually Wednesday evening.  Winning bid is simply the salary of the player.  Obviously you're bound by your cap, you can't bid more then your free cap space.  Then FCFS is after that, any player added has the league minimum salary.  We never limited contracts, you can assign what you want to the max, but certainly you don't have to.  I get your "wanting to properly auction them", but my view is this...if they were really all that great and wanted they would have been bid on.  Since they weren't they are just basically scrubs and so that is their value.  But certainly you can do that by just do what you've been doing and only allowing 1 yr contracts to FCFS.

All dropped players are locked from any waivers until the following week blind bidding, thus forcing all drops to go thru waivers.

Never been a fan of the 2nd waivers later in the week, just never saw the point  Unless you're running really thin rosters or something.  Cap leagues I've been in are usually rostering at least 25-30 players per team so there isn't much for free agency anyway, why complicate things with 2nd waivers and overlapping FCFS and all that.  But again, that's just me.

The concept of salary cap all year, auction drafts and blind bidding waivers (which is kinda  mini-auction each week) is pretty easy for most people to understand and is the "default" why MFL handles things automatically so it's pretty seemless with little commish manual work outside of quirks you have beyond the automation.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users