draft order

5 replies to this topic

#1 ManURedDevil

ManURedDevil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:39 PM

I've been running a couple leagues on MFL since 2001.

They're both dynasty leagues where we keep a portion of our players while the remaining players go back into the draft.

Each year, our draft order is set by the previous year's results; however, in both leagues we use a lottery to determine the draft order of the first round for 'lottery eligible' teams.

We've used a number of different processes for the lottery including: pulling paper from a hat, using an excel spreadsheet algorithm, using draftpicklottery.com.

Each have their own advantages, but I've always thought that a 'lottery' function on MFL would be pretty easy to create and would ensure transparency to the process for all owners.

My suggestion is for MFL to add a draft lottery function that would allow for different parameters (# of teams, weighting, etc)

Thanks in advance.

#2 habman

habman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

• 2019 MFL: 55681
  • , 18835

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:19 AM

I scripted a draft lottery for our league.  The lottery is a weighted system that awards the top 3 draft picks to the non-playoffs teams.  In our league eight teams don't make the playoffs so the worst team gets 8 balls, 2nd worst 7 balls all the way to 1 ball for the best of the non-playoff teams.

We also have a toilet bowl for the eight teams where each win gets the winning team an extra ball in the lottery.

This is the first year we are implementing it and I think that the ball distribution is not weighted heavy enough to the worst teams so I will definitely recommend changes.

Anyway what I have scripted basically shows the probability of each team winning first, second or third overall and I have added a lottery simulator that can be ran numerous times to tabulate results.

This funny thing is we are not going to use the script to actually run the lottery.  We are a local league and will be using a bingo machine to assign balls and run the lottery in front of everyone so the script is really only for testing and fun.

Here is a link to the script: http://www66.myfanta...18/home/55681#6

You say that you want something built in MFL that would ensure transparency.  I am not sure how pulling paper from a hat is not transparent.

Either way I can share the script if interested in playing around with it.

My MFL scripts . . . . . . . . http://www.habman.com/mfl/

#3 UFFLCommish

UFFLCommish

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:50 AM

Can you PM me the script?

I'm going to propose a draft lottery for my dynasty leagues.

Thanks hab!

#4 habman

habman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

• 2019 MFL: 55681
  • , 18835

Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:26 PM

The script is setup to award the top 3 picks. Less will work but currently not more. Will you need more?
My MFL scripts . . . . . . . . http://www.habman.com/mfl/

#5 UFFLCommish

UFFLCommish

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 03:46 PM

Three is perfect. That's what I proposed to the owners. Picks 4-6 will be according to standings.

#6 UFFLCommish

UFFLCommish

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 06:14 AM

edit

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users