#1 mcanco

mcanco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:20 PM

In the NFL box score for today it reads:
Touchdown Titans
(5:12) A.Vinatieri 46 yard field goal is BLOCKED (D.Cruikshank), Center-L.Rhodes, Holder-R.Sanchez, RECOVERED by TEN-T.Smith at TEN 37. T.Smith for 63 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

And of course one of the owners in our league is wondering why he didn't get the points:

Length of Blocked Field Goal TD     0-110    10

It passed the "test" and says

This is the length in yards of a blocked field goal TD. This rule is evaluated for EACH blocked field goal TD.

Please advise.

#2 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,870 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:22 AM

Weird plays like this sometimes don't show up right away (and not in live scoring) and get manually added in overnight or by final stats for the week.  So check today.  I personally only am in IDP leagues so I can't check in my leagues to see how it got scored.  Tye Smith did get the blocked FG TD in my IDP leagues so I know overall the stat is there.

Another thing to check on...make sure you are combining Def and Special teams as I think they are separated if you don't check a box. But it's been over a decade since we had team defense so I'm only remembering what it was like in the deep dark past.  LOL

#3 Beatnik Mike

Beatnik Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:16 AM

STRANGE PLAYS FOR WEEK #15 (PUBLISHED FRI DEC 13 12:53:33 A.M. CT 2019)

Sam Koch (BAL) Had a Punt Blocked by Tarell Basham (NYJ) and B.J. Bello (NYJ) Returned it 14 yards for a BLOCKED Punt Return TD.

Ravens, Baltimore BAL Def

2.0 1 Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent)
2.0 1 Interceptions
2.0 1 Blocked Field Goals
1.0 1 Sacked a QB
1.0 15 Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against
0.0 0 Fumbles Lost on Special Teams
0.0 0 Fumbles Lost on Defense
8.0 Subtotal

Shouldn't the 6 points scored by the Jets ST on this play count against the Ravens ST?  

#4 quickolas1

quickolas1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:52 PM

Have a gripe in my league about this blocked punt.

For the Ravens D/ST (in question) we have Special Teams & Offensive Points Against as a thing. Not Defensive Points against (i.e. the team's QB throws a pick-6 when the Defense nor Special Teams is even on the field)

Looked back and the other 3 punt blocks for TD's that occured in 2019 didn't count either.

They become Defense after a block...? Logically, that seems silly & you'd think it should count.

Or has MFL been doing it wrong the entire time...?

I have no idea.

#5 quickolas1

quickolas1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:12 PM

FAQ:

"Answer: In order to receive points for blocked field goal (or punts) returned for touchdowns, you will need to have the following scoring rules defined for your "Defense".

To make sure that you receive these points you will have to have the: "Number of Blocked Field Goals TDs" defined for your league.

Note that if you have the "Number of Defensive & Special Teams Touchdowns" then this will be included with those touchdowns. It will not appear if you just have the "Number of Defensive Touchdowns" defined as that only includes Interceptions and Fumbles Returned for a Touchdown.

You would also want to add the "Number of Blocked Punt Goal TDs" as well to your scoring rules."

---------------------

If it counts in "Number of Defensive & Special Teams Touchdowns," shouldn't it also count in "Number of Offensive & Special Teams Touchdowns?"

#6 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,870 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 04:58 PM

If I remember from the deep dark past, the NFL does not consider blocked kicks as "special teams" but instead as a normal defensive play.  Same as to if there is a fake FG or fake punt that turns into a TD, that is not a "special teams" play despite the special teams being on the field, but a normal offensive play.

But it's been a while...IDP for the win.  :)

#7 quickolas1

quickolas1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:47 AM

After getting a support ticket response and double-checking the options available... MFL has no option for blocked kicks returned for a TD to count as points against (the opposing) Defense/Special Teams at all.

I asked for them to add this as manually adjusting a box score anytime this happens is not something a Commish should have to add to their league maintenance responsibilities!

#8 wolfy13

wolfy13

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:32 PM

After getting a support ticket response and double-checking the options available... MFL has no option for blocked kicks returned for a TD to count as points against (the opposing) Defense/Special Teams at all.
I asked for them to add this as manually adjusting a box score anytime this happens is not something a Commish should have to add to their league maintenance responsibilities!

As noted above, the kickin* team is not considered special teams. Otherwise fake punts/fgs for a td would be added to special teams tds, and they’re not.

#9 quickolas1

quickolas1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:25 AM

As noted above, the kickin* team is not considered special teams. Otherwise fake punts/fgs for a td would be added to special teams tds, and they’re not.

The kicking team is (of course) considered special teams... but the outcome of a play determines whether they stay that way.

A kicked ball has to go past the line of scrimmage. When the ball is blocked, it reverts to being an offensive play.

It's silly but that's the NFL for you.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users