#1 HedgeHog

HedgeHog

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:Theater, Las Vegas, Blackjack, Poker

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:23 AM

Read several threads on the topic but still have one question for discussion/opinions.  We're expanding next season and have most of the nuts and bolts covered.  Each franchise will be keeping either 7 or 8 players, within our contract/retention rules.  We then have two schools of thought on how to proceed.  EITHER:

1.  New franchise may select one player from each franchise, followed by a round of existing franchises "recalling" an exposed player (pursuant to existing contract/retention rules), followed by another round of picks, lather, rinse, repeat as needed.

2.  New franchise may select one player from ANY franchise.  Said franchise may then "recall" an exposed player, followed by another draft pick, lather, rinse, repeat as needed.

IMHO there isn't THAT much difference but one of my "better" owners feels #1 damages existing (good/solid/deep) franchises less than #2.  I don't see it. 

Thoughts?  Examples??

There IS no "Off Season"

#2 sladog

sladog

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:27 PM

If the new team is limited to only taking and keeping (acquiring) 1 player from each team, I don't think there's any difference between the two options.

However, the first option sounds like the new team can only acquire 1 player from each team, and the second option sounds like the new team can acquire multiple players from any team.  That's a huge difference.

"INCONCEIVABLE!!"  ...   You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

#3 HedgeHog

HedgeHog

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

to clarify .... option #1 would allow them to take one player from each team.  Teams could then recall a player.  New team could then take ANOTHER player from each team, followed by another round of recalls..

Examples option #1.  I keep my X players and expose players A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H.  New owner then signs one player from every franchise, INCLUDING my player A.  After that round I opt to "recall" player B.  We then do another round of new owner signing and he takes my player C followed by me recalling D,and so on.

Under option #2 IF he takes my player A I can then recall B.  Nobody else gets a recall yet. He can then take his SECOND player, either MY player C or YOUR player A.  If he takes mine, I get another recall.  If he takes yours YOU get a recall.

and fwiw I don't see this as much of a difference at the top.

There IS no "Off Season"

#4 sladog

sladog

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:22 PM

Does the new team have to take a player from each other team?  If so, they would only be able to claim 2 players from any team, right?  With option 2, they could take 4 players from 1 team.

Seems like option 2 would be worse for the better existing teams.

"INCONCEIVABLE!!"  ...   You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

#5 HedgeHog

HedgeHog

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:55 AM

that's the arguement the other owner is making, that under proposal #2 he can pick one team's pocket more than another.

But ... assume we keep 8 players each .... what that owner is saying is that HIS eleventh best player is better than my ninth best player

we have 30 man rosters so .... worst case scenario under #1 ... new team could take four players from each team.  existing teams could protect eleven.  Under #2 the new team could take eleven players from one team who could protect it's remaining 19.  Salary/cost/"the market" would prevent this from happening.

In an ideal world the eight players existing team's keep would comprise the 64 best players.  There would be VERY few starting quality players available, and they'd be out there because their salary had become too high.  A NEW team can take on a high cap hit whereas an existing team might be more risk averse.  Anyone not retained or picked by the new franchise would be made available to all in our summer auction.

There IS no "Off Season"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users