Auction Bidding Question

4 replies to this topic

#1 wnyffl

wnyffl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

We're going into our first off-season bidding auction. It's open, visible bidding (not blind bids).

Auction continues until nobody increases a bid for 24 hours.

Let's say after 20 hours the team with the high bid decides they no longer want that player.

Can they retract their bid?

If not, can they reduce their bid below what was the previous high bid?

In either case, does the 24 hours start all over again? 

If neither of the above is possible, do I need to cancel that auction and start it all over again?

#2 HedgeHog

HedgeHog

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:Theater, Las Vegas, Blackjack, Poker

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:08 AM

Guess it depends on what your rules are of course.  WE wouldn't allow the retraction of a bid nor a reduction, unless something stupid happened (owner submitted a $100 bid instead of a $1.00 bid) 

this doesn't address whether it CAN be done, only that in our league it WON'T be done.  But it does seem that if you are going to allow this silliness you should just cancel and start over, with notice to all owners.

There IS no "Off Season"

#3 quickolas1

quickolas1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:19 AM

Let's say after 20 hours the team with the high bid decides they no longer want that player.

Can they retract their bid?

If not, can they reduce their bid below what was the previous high bid?

Defeats the purpose. I wouldn't want to be a league that introduces this after-the-fact mentality.

#4 wnyffl

wnyffl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for the input. This is part of the decision making process. Since this is our first time using an auction, I wasn't sure what was common practice. I don't understand the rationale either, but I have a few owners that allowed retractions in other leagues, but they didn't use MFL for the auctions. I wanted to see if MFL even supported it. Looks like they don't, which supports my case.

#5 UCanCallMeMitch

UCanCallMeMitch

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:00 AM

Retractions (Mulligans) - No way normally, but possibly if its an obvious screw-up like HedgeHog stated (Mix-up on players with same name, fat fingers on the amount of a bid. etc).  And the error must be disclosed immediately, not hours later.

Who said "Stupid is as stupid does"?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users