When Draft Pick Timer Expires...Do Nothing or Nag

5 replies to this topic

#1 jeffnjnecom

jeffnjnecom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 06:00 AM

I don't ever want the system to select a player. With the current options available, I either have to watch the timer so I can stop it if someone takes too long or unwind the picks if I miss it too. I would much prefer that the speaker say "times up" every 5 seconds or worst case do nothing and just let the timer sit at 0:00. We have never enforced a computer selected pick when the timer expired.

#2 HedgeHog

HedgeHog

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:Theater, Las Vegas, Blackjack, Poker

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:44 AM

not sure what options you've selected but if one of OUR owners goes over time they get skipped and it becomes a race to the podium

There IS no "Off Season"

#3 sladog

sladog

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 11:11 AM

Then why use the timer at all?  Just nag people to make picks if they're taking too long - which is what you do already.

"INCONCEIVABLE!!"  ...   You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

#4 BIGDOG00

BIGDOG00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:44 AM

Or get rid of the owner who missed the pick that you have to keep nagging to make the pick.  Obviously they are not that interested in playing anyways.  In our league we do it the same way as HedgeHog mentioned.  Just like the NFL.

#5 quickolas1

quickolas1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:42 PM

What they said... without a real consequence, you're teaching them to just wait until they get nagged. (after the clock expires)

They're dogs. Master them or let them master you.

#6 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:52 PM

So I have a couple answers, both are pretty much the same:

1) In online leagues I've been in that have done an online draft, timer expires the pick is skipped and it goes to the next team.  Draft continues as normal.  Whenever the skipped owner contacts the commish with a pick, the commish will sub in their pick.  But obviously it can't be a player that has been picked since.

2) In my local leagues where we draft in person at the bar...race to the podium.  I have an egg timer that goes off when time is up.  I give countdown warnings and I'll even pressure if it gets under 10 seconds by telling the next team to get their pick ready.  Timer goes off the team better announce right then and there or it's to the next team.  And the next team, etc. until they finally get their pick in.  Only happened a couple times in the many years but it's hilarious to see when it does as someone panics.  :)

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users