Photo

Marquee (horizontal scroller) new and improved

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
159 replies to this topic

#31 UCanCallMeMitch

UCanCallMeMitch

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:03 PM

Thanks Hab For The Option To Display Or Not Display The Title.

Since I'm still exploring its use have two more questions.

1) If I want to put a border between the Title and Message, whats the code?

2) I've tried the tilde (~) and for inserting spaces between items but neither seems to do the trick. What's the Secret?

ldsportslogoindex_32x32.pngLuckyDog Sports

" Fantasy Fun For Football Fanatics "

#32 habman

habman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:21 PM

Thanks Hab For The Option To Display Or Not Display The Title.

Since I'm still exploring its use have two more questions.

1) If I want to put a border between the Title and Message, whats the code?

2) I've tried the tilde (~) and for inserting spaces between items but neither seems to do the trick. What's the Secret?

The CSS id's marqueeheader and marqueebody is where you can configure extra borders.

For instance:

#marqueebody {
border-top: 1px solid black;
}

Will put a black border between the header and the scrolling area.

Use   for successive spaces.
My MFL scripts . . . . . . . . http://www.habman.com/mfl/

#33 UCanCallMeMitch

UCanCallMeMitch

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:14 AM

Use ' ' for successive spaces.

I did manage to figure this out, but you have to put a bunch (and i mean a bunch) to get any meaningful gap between items.

Okay then, here's another request (its up to you) - An option to change the scrolling from horizontal to vertical (bottom to top); probably have to have hard breaks in the text? Step further - others such as fade, flash (might be too much) and other text effects?

Thanx - much better than the other script. (wish I had the talent :blink: )

#34 habman

habman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:26 PM

I did manage to figure this out, but you have to put a bunch (and i mean a bunch) to get any meaningful gap between items.

Okay then, here's another request (its up to you) - An option to change the scrolling from horizontal to vertical (bottom to top); probably have to have hard breaks in the text? Step further - others such as fade, flash (might be too much) and other text effects?

Thanx - much better than the other script. (wish I had the talent :rolleyes: )

The vertical scroller is the next thing on my list of things to do. It shouldn't be too difficult to convert now that the horizontal one is done.

Flash is beyond my abilities so it probably won't come from me but there are a couple of flash programmers on this site so it may happen from someone.

#35 tpal70

tpal70

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:50 AM

I put this new scroller in last night, but I don't see anything today. Plus my site was extremly slow to load. Could I have too much loaded or something? It is supposed to go towards the top under the header and buttons.

League ID is 21345

Thanks for any help.

#36 SportsUnlimited

SportsUnlimited

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:59 AM

I put this new scroller in last night, but I don't see anything today. Plus my site was extremly slow to load. Could I have too much loaded or something? It is supposed to go towards the top under the header and buttons.

League ID is 21345

Thanks for any help.

mine has been working fine but now it's missing all of a sudden

#37 habman

habman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:02 PM

My webserver is down for the moment. Hopefully it won't be for long.

EDITED TO ADD

It's back up but I think I am going to move these javascript files to a new server. My current server is located overseas in the UK which due to the sheer number of hops has greater potential for outages.

I will update when I have made the move.

#38 UCanCallMeMitch

UCanCallMeMitch

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:50 PM

Sorry, but I'm back on this one.

I've inserted this between sentences and does work for a time or two, but eventually '"&amp"' shows up before or within the spacing code (have the Marquee in a separate message module) and screws up the scrolling message. Tried hard coding them into the the message, but get the same effect as using a text editor and cut and pasting them in.

Anybody got a work-around?

#39 habman

habman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:42 PM

Sorry, but I'm back on this one.

I've inserted this between sentences and does work for a time or two, but eventually '"&amp"' shows up before or within the spacing code (have the Marquee in a separate message module) and screws up the scrolling message. Tried hard coding them into the the message, but get the same effect as using a text editor and cut and pasting them in.

Anybody got a work-around?

Yeah I just noticed that too that the   are all changed to &ampnbsp; when you edit the messages.

Tomorrow I will add back the ~ to act as spaces in the script.

#40 UCanCallMeMitch

UCanCallMeMitch

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:18 PM

#41 eengert

eengert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

habman, For some reason, the scroller works fine in IE but not FireFox for my league (19144). In FireFox, it won't scroll and it seems to be "chugging" on something - maybe trying to load something? Can you offer any suggestions?

#42 raydixon

raydixon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:27 AM

One more dumb question. I am not that tech savvy especially with Java or html. I changed to the basis editor and now have your scrolling text humming along. But there is no way I can edit the rest of my modules with the basic editor. I HAVE to use the advanced one. When I turn the advanced one on to edit my other modules, then the scoller quits working. Will I just need to switch advanced off and on each time I edit something? Thanks in advance for your help. Your scrolling text is awesome.

One more question: will the draft results stop or do I need to delete them after a week or two?

#43 habman

habman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:40 PM

habman, For some reason, the scroller works fine in IE but not FireFox for my league (19144). In FireFox, it won't scroll and it seems to be "chugging" on something - maybe trying to load something? Can you offer any suggestions?

I went to check out your site but you had taken the scroller down. If you put it back up then I'll have a look to see what the issue might be.

#44 habman

habman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:44 PM

One more dumb question. I am not that tech savvy especially with Java or html. I changed to the basis editor and now have your scrolling text humming along. But there is no way I can edit the rest of my modules with the basic editor. I HAVE to use the advanced one. When I turn the advanced one on to edit my other modules, then the scoller quits working. Will I just need to switch advanced off and on each time I edit something? Thanks in advance for your help. Your scrolling text is awesome.

One more question: will the draft results stop or do I need to delete them after a week or two?

The scroller quit working as soon as you turned the advanced editor on? Or did you edit the scroller code with the advanced editor turned on?

Why I am asking is because it should not stop working just because you turned the advanced editor on.

The draft results will continue to scroll until you turn them off by setting var marqueeDraftResultsModule to false.

#45 eengert

eengert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:45 PM

I went to check out your site but you had taken the scroller down. If you put it back up then I'll have a look to see what the issue might be.

Ok, it's back up. Thanks for checking.