2 replies to this topic

#1 thunderfrog42

thunderfrog42

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:39 AM

Our league carries coaches and team defenses.  We award 5 points to a coach if they win in
the NFL that week.  For defenses, we
award points for points allowed (a tiered system giving 10 points for a
shut-out down to 1 for 17 pts allowed), as well as points for sacks and INTs.

Here’s the problem I’m trying to fix:  While it’s “nice” to have a great coach or defense,
no one sees it as critical, and invariably, every year the majority of owners
wait until the final 3 rounds to draft their kicker, defense and coach (with
the minor exceptions for Belichick, Gostkowski, Tucker, Zeuerlein…)

What I am aiming to do is make the gap between the best

coaches and defenses and the worst coaches and defenses bigger so that there is
more importance in having the elite ones. 
To be clear, I am NOT looking to simply increase scoring, as I don’t
want to get to the point where a win for a coach is worth more than a QB
throwing 2 TDs, or a decent week from your defense is worth more than a WR
going off for 150 yards and 2 TDs, etc… 
I want to find a way to make the good coaches and defenses more
valuable than the crappy ones WITHOUT increasing scoring.  All too often now, one of our teams may know
going into the week that they are likely to get a zero out of their coach or
defense, but it’s not enough important enough to motivate them to go to the
waiver wire to stream a replacement. 

My goal is to make owners want to stream replacements and to

start drafting the good coaches/defenses earlier in the draft, adding more strategy to the draft.

So my question is, how to create (more) value and importance
to the coach and defense position without necessarily just throwing more points
at them.  The logical answer to me seems
to be awarding negative points to the crappy ones.  For example, if your coach loses, rather than getting zero
points, maybe you get –3.  Lose by more
than 20 points?  Maybe you get –5…  I’m thinking maybe something similar with
defenses… they give up more than 30 points, they get –3 points for example…

Rather than re-invent the wheel, I’m throwing this out there
to see what other leagues may be doing to create a bigger divide between the best
and worst coaches and defenses  ?

Any input would be appreciated…

#2 HedgeHog

HedgeHog

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Interests:Theater, Las Vegas, Blackjack, Poker

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

we've used negative defensive scoring for decades. Maybe incrporate something similar for the coach?  (although personally I'd wanna see the coaches scoring ATS.  If the Patriots beat the Dolphins by only 1 why should Coach B be rewards if they were a 14 point favorite?

Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 0-2 10 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 3-5 9 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 6-6 8 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 7-7 7 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 8-8 6 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 9-9 5 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 10-10 4 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 11-11 3 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 12-12 2 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 13-13 1 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 14-28 0 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 29-29 -1 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 30-30 -2 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 31-31 -3 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 32-32 -4 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 33-33 -5 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 34-34 -6 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 35-35 -7 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 36-36 -8 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 37-37 -9 Edit   Special Teams Points Against plus Offensive Points Against 38-99 -10 Edit

There IS no "Off Season"

#3 thunderfrog42

thunderfrog42

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:27 AM

Love the idea of using ATS, although I'm guessing the commish would have to manually adjust that as I imagine the spread isn't something in MFL's scoring ?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users