#1 elemjosh

elemjosh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Fantasy football, San Francisco 49ers

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:21 AM

Are there any leagues out there where you do a league newspaper/podcast/blog? I'm not talking about general FFL podcast that talk about rankings and stuff - I mean news specific to your league. If so, would love to check out your links.

Thanks.

#2 BobA

BobA

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

• 2017 MFL: 44355

Posted 22 July 2018 - 12:10 PM

Josh:

I'm not sure this is what you're looking for but I have a 'news blog' that I use for my league. I don't post there nearly as often as I should but I'm planning to change that this season as we get closer to an anniversary next year. I used to do a weekly mailout newsletter but that was before the internet happened. I'm now in the middle of a project to digitalize 30 something years of paper into .pdf form. I'm on my second scanner. <_<

https://hughesleague.wordpress.com/

2018 League Site

The Ed Hughes Football League, Since 1980
2018...Our 39th Season!! 

----------
"Yes, well, everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out." -Rick Blaine

#3 elemjosh

elemjosh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 12:14 PM

Thanks! And congratulations on the anniversary - that's really impressive. 

We've been keeping a "blog" for a few years, and now we're trying to add a video element. Just kind of looking for ideas. 

You used to do the newsletter with...a typewriter? That. Is. Awesome! 

#4 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:28 PM

Been doing a weekly league blog/news article for 20 years.  We just use the built in league article function on MFL.  Any time I've tried to "jazz it up" with multimedia, nobody cared and I just wasted my time.  Then again we're bunch of old guys.  Get off my lawn!   :D

#5 elemjosh

elemjosh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:48 PM

Yeah, they SAY they want a weekly video podcast, but I'm not going to feel like doing the work unless I get a lot of feedback each time.

Also, where can I find your league?

#6 BobA

BobA

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

• 2017 MFL: 44355

Posted 22 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

We've been keeping a "blog" for a few years, and now we're trying to add a video element. Just kind of looking for ideas. 

Yup a typewriter. Heck some of the first newsletters were hand written. I get what you mean now about multimedia. So many ways to spice up a league these days. But I think the most multmedia-ish I'm gonna get is using animated gifs.

2018 League Site

The Ed Hughes Football League, Since 1980
2018...Our 39th Season!! 

----------
"Yes, well, everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out." -Rick Blaine

#7 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:58 PM

Not a typewriter for me as I have had a PC of one sort or another (with printer) since the late 80s.  But pre-email I'd type up a weekly newsletter which had the scores and standings and a bit of an article as that was the only way anyone knew if they won a game or not.  (!)  Basically score with the USA Today, type that sucker up Tuesday morning (at work, of course) and get it out in the mail to all the owners by noon.  So most would know scores and standings by Thursday, some Wednesday.  Call in their waivers and leave a message on the tape (had a dual tape answering machines, one just for football stuff) and so forth.

Ahhh, those were the days...which I don't miss!  LOL

#8 elemjosh

elemjosh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:01 PM

Yes, USA TODAY! That's what we used for box scores early on as well. Were they the only newspaper printing them?

It's hard to believe how far we've come. Our league just added punters! It's nice that I don't have to manually calculate punters.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users