draft order

9 replies to this topic

#1 ManURedDevil

ManURedDevil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:39 PM

I've been running a couple leagues on MFL since 2001.

They're both dynasty leagues where we keep a portion of our players while the remaining players go back into the draft.

Each year, our draft order is set by the previous year's results; however, in both leagues we use a lottery to determine the draft order of the first round for 'lottery eligible' teams.

We've used a number of different processes for the lottery including: pulling paper from a hat, using an excel spreadsheet algorithm, using draftpicklottery.com.

Each have their own advantages, but I've always thought that a 'lottery' function on MFL would be pretty easy to create and would ensure transparency to the process for all owners.

My suggestion is for MFL to add a draft lottery function that would allow for different parameters (# of teams, weighting, etc)

Thanks in advance.

#2 habman

habman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

• 2019 MFL: 55681
  • , 18835

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:19 AM

I scripted a draft lottery for our league.  The lottery is a weighted system that awards the top 3 draft picks to the non-playoffs teams.  In our league eight teams don't make the playoffs so the worst team gets 8 balls, 2nd worst 7 balls all the way to 1 ball for the best of the non-playoff teams.

We also have a toilet bowl for the eight teams where each win gets the winning team an extra ball in the lottery.

This is the first year we are implementing it and I think that the ball distribution is not weighted heavy enough to the worst teams so I will definitely recommend changes.

Anyway what I have scripted basically shows the probability of each team winning first, second or third overall and I have added a lottery simulator that can be ran numerous times to tabulate results.

This funny thing is we are not going to use the script to actually run the lottery.  We are a local league and will be using a bingo machine to assign balls and run the lottery in front of everyone so the script is really only for testing and fun.

Here is a link to the script: http://www66.myfanta...18/home/55681#6

You say that you want something built in MFL that would ensure transparency.  I am not sure how pulling paper from a hat is not transparent.

Either way I can share the script if interested in playing around with it.

My MFL scripts . . . . . . . . http://www.habman.com/mfl/

#3 UFFLCommish

UFFLCommish

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:50 AM

Can you PM me the script?

I'm going to propose a draft lottery for my dynasty leagues.

Thanks hab!

#4 habman

habman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

• 2019 MFL: 55681
  • , 18835

Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:26 PM

The script is setup to award the top 3 picks. Less will work but currently not more. Will you need more?
My MFL scripts . . . . . . . . http://www.habman.com/mfl/

#5 UFFLCommish

UFFLCommish

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 03:46 PM

Three is perfect. That's what I proposed to the owners. Picks 4-6 will be according to standings.

#6 UFFLCommish

UFFLCommish

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 06:14 AM

edit

#7 ManURedDevil

ManURedDevil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the effort, Habman, but I'm not sure what to do with a 'script'.  I'm not that technically literate. Any advice on how to use/adopt a 'script'?

The hat draws were 30+ years ago when we were all in school.  We've all gone our separate ways now, hence the preference for something on the site for all to see.

Also, couple other Qs.... any way to incorporate your league's quick link buttons on the top banner?  and, any way to copy your Survivor report page?  We do something very similar.

Thanks in advance.

BTW... I'm in Kitchener if you're ever looking for a local owner...

#8 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,849 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:48 AM

Suggestion for you....how about you schedule a time to do a Google Hangout or something and you pick names out the hat like old times.  Everyone can video in and you can all chat and feel like the old days.  At the end of the day you'd only need a couple others to connect to be a "witness" to the draw.  Then post the results on your web site and set the draft order.  That sounds like a lot more fun to me.  :)

#9 ManURedDevil

ManURedDevil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:09 PM

That's a good idea, bonscott.

I'm not familiar with Hangout, but I imagine that it's easier than script! I'll look into it.

#10 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,849 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

That's a good idea, bonscott.

I'm not familiar with Hangout, but I imagine that it's easier than script! I'll look into it.

Same as Skype or Apple Facetime.  I find Google easier since I'm all gmail, Android and Chromebook anyway.  It's just a video "phone" call on your phone, tablet or computer.  I actually use it at our draft as we have one of our owners moved about 1000 miles away and he flies back about every 5 years but remote drafts the other years.  So I have a laptop setup in the bar we draft at connected to a monitor with a video camera.  He calls in and we see him on the monitor and hear him on the speakers and he can see and hear us as well.  Almost like he's actually there. Better have solid Internet connection for 8 hours though.  LOL

Good luck!

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users