Photo

Overview App

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
142 replies to this topic

#1 habman

habman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:45 PM

I am currently working on a new app that will display a general overview of fantasy teams in a league.

The app will be set in a tabbed format. Each tab will show different data about the fantasy team. The data includes current status of the team, stats, future strength of schedule for the team. I am also planning on adding a projections tab.

Before I am ready to post the code I am looking for opinions on any possible additions or changes that you guys may like to see in the app.

You can see it working in the "Overview Test" tab on my site http://www8.myfantas...2008/home/15372

It seems to work smoother in Firefox than IE but I am sure that I can get those bugs worked out.

You may need to do a CTRL-F5 to clear your cache if things aren't showing up for you.

Again I am looking for suggestions on changes and/or additions.

Thanks.

EDITED TO ADD

Here is the code if you would like to test it out for your site. IDP's are not included right now but will be in the next day or so.

Note: When adding this code to a home page message make sure that you have your advanced editor turned off.
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<!--

//Start marquee manually; either true or false
   var overviewClickToStart = false;

//Display salary/contract column; either true or false
   var displayOverviewSalary = false;

//Set initial team to display; normally commissioner franchise ID
   var overviewDefaultTeam = '0001';

//Set the number of decimals for Fantasy Points display
   var overviewDecimals = 1;

//Display "Not Official Stats" disclaimer
   var overviewEnableStatsDisclaimer = true;

//The following controls the number of weeks to display in fantasy schedule tab
   var overviewScheduleMax = 17;
   var overviewScheduleNext = 5;
   var overviewSchedulePrev = 5;

//Create link to minimize the app
   var overviewMinimize = true;

// -->
</script>

<style type='text/css'>

/* THIS IS THE TAB CONTENT CSS CODE */
.habOverviewTabs{
  padding: 1px;
  font-weight: bold;
  list-style-type: none;
  text-align: left; 
}

.habOverviewTabs li {
  display: inline;
  background-color: silver;
  border: 1px solid black;
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0;
  padding-left: 5px;
}

.habOverviewTabs li a {
  text-decoration: none;
}

.habOverviewTabs li.selected {
  background-color: white;
  border-bottom: 2px solid white;
}

.habOverviewTabContentStyle{ 
  padding: 5px;
}

.habOverviewTabContent{
  display:none;
  padding-left: 30px;
  padding-top: 30px;
  padding-right: 30px;
}

#RosterOverviewMain, #RosterOverviewStats, #RosterOverviewSchedule, #RosterOverviewProjections {
 text-align: left;
 min-height: 400px;
 height: auto !important; /* For Safari & firefox */
 height: 400px; /* IE6 expands this if needed */
 vertical-align: top;
}

.habOverviewTable {
  width: 100%;
}

.habOverviewTable caption {
}

.habOverviewTable td {
  padding-left: 5px;
  padding-right: 5px;
}

.habOverviewTable th {
  border-right: 0px;
  border-left: 0px;
  height: auto;
  font-style: normal;
}

#habOverviewSelect {
  font-size: 11px;
  font-family: courier new,helvetica;
  font-weight: bold;	
  color: #00517b;
  background-color: silver;
}

/* THIS IS THE DYNAMIC DRIVE CSS POPUP WINDOW CODE */
.dhtmlwindow{
  position: absolute;
  border: 2px solid black;
  visibility: hidden;
}

.drag-handle{ /*CSS for Drag Handle*/
  text-indent: 3px;
  font: bold 14px Arial;
  background-color: #CA0000;
  color: white;
  cursor: move;
  overflow: hidden;
  width: auto;
  filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.alpha(opacity=100);
  -moz-opacity: 1;
  opacity: 1;
}

.drag-handle .drag-controls{ /*CSS for controls (min, close etc) within Drag Handle*/
  position: absolute;
  right: 1px;
  top: 2px;
  cursor: hand;
  cursor: pointer;
}

* html .drag-handle{ /*IE6 and below CSS hack. Width must be set to 100% in order for opaque title bar to render*/
}

.drag-contentarea{ /*CSS for Content Display Area div*/
  border-top: 1px solid brown;
  color: black;
  height: 150px;
  padding: 2px;
  overflow: auto;
}

.drag-statusarea{ /*CSS for Status Bar div (includes resizearea)*/
  border-top: 1px solid gray;
  background-color: #F8F8F8;
  height: 13px; /*height of resize image*/
}

.drag-resizearea{ /*CSS for Resize Area itself*/
  float: right;
  width: 13px; /*width of resize image*/
  height: 13px; /*height of resize image*/
  cursor: nw-resize;
  font-size: 0;
}

</style>

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.habman.com/mfl/apps/js/habman_common.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.habman.com/mfl/apps/js/overview.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.habman.com/mfl/habtabcontent.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.habman.com/mfl/apps/js/dhtmlwindow/dhtmlwindow.js">

/***********************************************
* DHTML Window Widget- &copy; Dynamic Drive (www.dynamicdrive.com)
* This notice must stay intact for legal use.
* Visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for full source code
***********************************************/

</script>

EDITED TO ADD

IDP's should now be working.
My MFL scripts . . . . . . . . http://www.habman.com/mfl/

#2 Brute Squad

Brute Squad

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

Looks pretty cool! I like that Schedule tab a lot. Maybe you could somehow do one for a team's Fantasy Schedule too? (and maybe color-code the opponent's players from "Bad" to "Great" based on their weekly scoring averages)

Another report I can think of to possibly add might be something like this:

Posted Image

I just did this report for my league...it just kinda allows you to see where a team (and their opponents) have been scoring. One guy in our league has played the Weekly Low Scorer 3 of the 5 weeks so far which has guaranteed him at least 3 wins. (but I didn't realize that until I looked at this report as saw how lucky he had gotten)

In a similar vein, another report I have shows what your record would be if you played every team's schedule.

Posted Image
www.jorgalink.com

#3 joe.commish

joe.commish

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

Looks good, Habman. I also like Brute Squad's ideas. He actually also talked about a report that he computes earlier this pre-season in this post. It was called a "luck factor" stat which I would also find interesting to check out. Have no idea how hard that would be for it to be included though.
Codes, Applications and CSS tweaks -- http://forums.myfant...showtopic=23490

#4 bwill81

bwill81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

Great idea Habman. As usual, you never fail to deliver these amazing add ons.

#5 Laporbo

Laporbo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

I assume the projections tab will show projections for your whole roster, not just the starting lineup?

Will it include IDPs, PN, Coach and other non-standard positions? MFLs projections don't but Kevin said they are in talks to at least include IDPs in the next version.

Anyway, maybe have the the projections tab highlight your best starting lineup based on your scoring setup. Obviously owners could just look at the projected points and figure it out but for those in a hurry a quick visual thing might be good.

Heck, if possible you could have a button that says "Submit my highest projected lineup for upcoming week". Then it would look at the projections and auto-submit your best lineup (with obvious disclaimers that these are just projections and might not be accurate). Again, for the owners who don't like to spend much time.

#6 habman

habman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:58 PM

Brute Squad: Those are nice reports and probably could be implemented in another script. For this particular script I am trying to keep it related to franchise rosters.

Lapordo: When it is all done projections will be made for all positions but keep in mind the projections are nothing fancy. Basically they are based on what the player has historically done and then tweaked depending on the strength of the opponent that week and the players injury status. I have compared the projections using this formula to others found on the net and it is as accurate as about any of those. (Basically not all that accurate LOL)

==============================

I have recently added a news icon to the report Posted Image and by clicking on it a window will popup with the latest news for that player. What is nice about the window is that is has been streamlined to contain only the table with the player news. I think that it is pretty cool. Check it out. League 15372 under the Overview Test tab.

==============================

Hopefully I will be far enough along in this app to share it later in the week.

#7 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:07 PM

Nice job.

What I found confusing was that nothing appeared there when going to the Overview tab. Then when I selected a team from the drop down nothing appeared below until I clicked one of the tabs. I can see this being confusing.

What I would like to see is that it default to your team and the first tab filled out already. Not sure if that is possible or if it would slow things down but I think it would be more user friendly by doing this.

#8 habman

habman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:11 PM

Nice job.

What I found confusing was that nothing appeared there when going to the Overview tab. Then when I selected a team from the drop down nothing appeared below until I clicked one of the tabs. I can see this being confusing.

What I would like to see is that it default to your team and the first tab filled out already. Not sure if that is possible or if it would slow things down but I think it would be more user friendly by doing this.

That is exactly what it is supposed to do but it is working intermittently(sp?). I haven't quite figured out why yet. That is one of the bugs I am still working on.

#9 Ogre

Ogre

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:25 PM

I can't say enough thanks yous, Habman! ur the greatest!

#10 habman

habman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

Nice job.

That is exactly what it is supposed to do but it is working intermittently(sp?). I haven't quite figured out why yet. That is one of the bugs I am still working on.

Okay this should now work. Do a ctrl-f5 and let me know.

#11 Ogre

Ogre

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:55 PM

Boy oh boy, my biggest dilemma is what to name the tab????

#12 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:15 AM

Nice job.

Okay this should now work. Do a ctrl-f5 and let me know.

Yep, seems to work. When I go to it, it loaded up team 3's stuff automatically.

Boy oh boy, my biggest dilemma is what to name the tab????

LOL. Same here. I've actually stayed away from too many custom apps this year but this one is too cool to not at least try. I think my guys might enjoy this one a lot. Just the news link alone is worth it in my book.

Habman, forgot to ask...I assume this works for IDPs? Also, how does it handle the Head Coach and Offensive line positions?

#13 jaypopsu

jaypopsu

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:07 AM

I have recently added a news icon to the report Posted Image and by clicking on it a window will popup with the latest news for that player. What is nice about the window is that is has been streamlined to contain only the table with the player news. I think that it is pretty cool. Check it out. League 15372 under the Overview Test tab.

That's a very nice touch. Reminds me of ESPN when you click on a player. News and their schedule/results pop up. Great work as usual.

Maybe a note that you can click on the folder icons for player info ... I'm sure my guys would try to click on the player instead.
Got Championship Anticiperection? | milfleague.com

#14 habman

habman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:21 PM

Okay this is ready for some beta testers. I have added the necessary code to the first post of this thread. Just copy and paste the code to a Home Page Message (advanced editor turned off)

Just a few quick notes:

- IDP's are not set up as of yet for this app. Hopefully I will get around to it in the next couple of days

- The var overviewDefaultTeam will be the team that auto-loads when a guest visits your site or when you are logged in as commissioner. When a team owner visits the site their team will auto-load.

- The var displayOverviewSalary can be set to either true or false depending on whether or not you want the fantasy salary of the player to be displayed.

- Projections are nothing fancy. Basically they are based on what the player has done in his previous games and either tweaked up or down based on the weekly opponent and/or the players injury status. Also the projected score may need some tweaking for some leagues.

- If you click on the Posted Image a popup box wil appear with the latest news for that player. Within this popup box are links to the players bio and MFL stats.

- Recent news is denoted by Posted Image

Let me know of any issues as I am sure there will be some.

#15 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:29 AM

I should be able to put this on my site later this morning. I'll also ask my owners to hammer it and offer opinions.