Photo

offensive line scoring

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 fantasy101

fantasy101

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

Offensive line scoring should be utilized in fantasy football. I am working on an offensive line scoring system with the stats available on the site and what I think could be added. Most important though is actually adding the option of offensive line position. the site has a head coach and punter. In the two leagues that I participate in both are on the site and I could do more with OL scoring than with punter or head coach. I will post the system i would utilize shortly and would like feedback from other fantasy football players.

#2 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

MFL has the OL position (I believe it's called "Team Offense" or something similar) and has for a long time. We've used it in one of my leagues for over 10 years.

Our scoring is pretty basic, -5 pts per sack given up. But have seen other leagues that also give points for total rush yards and things like that.
Waivers Setup and Settings Tutorial: http://forums.myfant...showtopic=28013

Do *NOT* look at the boxscores on nfl.com They are known to be unreliable and rarely updated. You should be looking at the GameBook for the game for the most "official" stats that are available to the public.

Also as noted live scoring on MFL is not official and often defensive stats are delayed. Once the final stats are out early Tuesday after the Monday night game then see what happens.

#3 fantasy101

fantasy101

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

I I would say it is only partially correct. They do have a team offense selection which can use some offensive line stats however it doesn't cover everything. It is the team offense so say you pick touchdowns the site will count every touchdown scored by the teams offense when if it was an individual position it would include only touchdowns scored by offensive lineman. Example my league has team offense it counts all touch downs scored not just ones scored by offensive lineman. It doesn't separate lineman from the other positions in team offense. Here is another example last season the green bay packers kicked off to the new england patriots the kick was a squib kick which patriot offensive lineman dan connolly ran back 73 yards. That kick return plus all other kick return yards by anybody else would count on the team offense when if it were a lineman only connolly's kick would count in the stats for Oline only. Suppose an interception is thrown and a lineman makes the tackle on the defender he gets credit for the tackle whcih is not an option on team offense. It needs to be a separte position not counting offensive stats of all other positions.

#4 fantasy101

fantasy101

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

Utilizing the rules that are available I have come up witha scoring system for offensive lines. I utilize the following rules QB sacks allowed, sack yardage lost, passing yards per pass attempt, rushing yards per rushing attempt, third down conversions, and fourth down conversions. For two of the rules I emailed the help center and they added the rushing yds per rush attempts and passing yards per pass attempt to my league as they weren't on the list but they were very helpful in making that happen. The less QB sacks a line gives up they get points. I started at 6 points and line loses 1.5 points for each sack given up and they get minus .10 for each sack yard allowed. If the team allows no sack yards they geta point for allowing zero sack yards. I then did third down conversions worth .20 each and fourth down conversions worth .25 each. The passing yards per attempt were worth .70 points for each yard avg and rushing yards per rush attempt at.40 for each avg yard. What Idid find teams that runa lot like the raiders, bills, eagles get sacked less because they run more. So I raised the scoring for the passing yds per pass attempt. I think the scoring was close to accurate to how good the teams actual offensive lines are. It is not perfect but pretty good. I will list the rankings below. As for what I don't like its what is missing for opitions. First there should be an offensive line option rather than team offense. As an example if you decide to go with penalties which I wanted to do it counts all penalties not just offfensive line penalties and second it doesn't count the occasional playa lineman might make such as a tackle after the QB threw an interception, a squib kick kickoff that is picked up by a lineman andruna few yards, a TD by a lineman, a recpetiion which happened on monday nights san diego jacksonville game. Jacksonville Offensive lineman Guy Whimper caught a 17 yard pass from blaine gabbert it wouldn't count for points in the current setup. After emailing back and forth people utilizing this site would to bombard it with emails to add an offensive line category and maybe they will. So start emailing. My league is a high scoring league. Here is the offensive line rankings in my league. Opinions please. Do you think the list is accurate or close to accurate with real nfl offensive lines based rushing, passing, sacks and 3rd and 4th conversions? Seems okay to me not perfect but close.

1.Texans, Houston HOU Off
2.Saints, New Orleans NOS Off
3.Patriots, New England NEP Off
4.Bills, Buffalo BUF Off
5.Eagles, Philadelphia PHI Off
6.Raiders, Oakland OAK Off
7.Giants, New York NYG Off
8.Titans, Tennessee TEN Off
9.Falcons, Atlanta ATL Off
10.Packers, Green Bay GBP Off

#5 Flounch

Flounch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:31 AM

yeah but it would be great to pick individual OL like the other position

#6 bonscott

bonscott

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

yeah but it would be great to pick individual OL like the other position

It would be, unfortunately there aren't any official NFL stats given to individual OL thus nothing MFL can score against. If you want to see the stats that MFL could potentially score against check the official NFL gamebooks. Unless something has changed in the past year there aren't any stats for individual OL. If there are then point out the specific stat(s) and put in a feature request ticket with MFL. MFL has added new stats pretty quickly like tackles for a loss and QB hurries when the NFL started tracking those as stats for IDPs for example.
Waivers Setup and Settings Tutorial: http://forums.myfant...showtopic=28013

Do *NOT* look at the boxscores on nfl.com They are known to be unreliable and rarely updated. You should be looking at the GameBook for the game for the most "official" stats that are available to the public.

Also as noted live scoring on MFL is not official and often defensive stats are delayed. Once the final stats are out early Tuesday after the Monday night game then see what happens.

#7 gridirongamer

gridirongamer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

I have been part of a dynasty league over at EFSports.com for the last four years and we have individual offensive line scoring. The player receives points based on his offense's points scored and yardage gained with a penalty for sacks allowed. We then have a multiplier built in that awards players three times as many points to those who started a game at offensive line vs. those that played but did not start. The strategy then becomes to obtain solid starting players who play for good offensive teams. Packers, Saints, Patriots and Texans players are highly valued.

#8 fantasy101

fantasy101

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:05 AM

Indivdual lineman would be great or at least right side, left side, middle but at leasta team OL which i am working on. There is a stat site that does actually have detailed individual offensive line stats for the NFL called called stats hosted solutions. Offensive lines contribute to players being successful like a running back getting a longrun or QB completing a long throw. Two things i would like to see on this site a stat for number of negative rushing plays or tackles for loss allowed and separtion of ppenalties for offense and defense and type of penalty. I have almost completed a OL position I will post when I'm satisfied with it.

#9 fantasy101

fantasy101

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

I am going to use the offensive line under the team offense. I based the position on what john madden uses for the Madden Protectors award with some slight changes. I will have the following average yards per rush and per pass, sacks allowed, third and fourth down conversions with maybe third and fourth conversions failed, sack yards lost, red zone TD's passing and rushing and time of possession. I would like to have used a stat like negative rushes or tackle for loss allowed and offensive line penalties but the site doesn't have those choices though tackle for loss allowed and the yardslost is on the gamebook. Offensive line will scored on par with a punter in my league.